Digital can streamline services and help local authorities to save money.
Most UK citizens use and benefit from digital services. In 2015, the Internet was accessed every day by 78% of adults and almost all adults aged 16 to 24 (96%) accessed the Internet 'on the go'.
Digital technology presents an opportunity for Local Authorities to streamline services, make savings and improve efficiencies. Wolverhampton City Council for example, announced that it’s on track to make £1.5m savings by 2018 through increasing the use of online services.
The SEND Local Offer is one of several vital information and advice services provided by Local Authorities that can be successfully delivered digitally. Developing a robust and user-friendly platform for the Local Offer can reduce frustrations for both service users and FIS team alike.
Based on our model, the digital Local Offer -
- Provides a centralised place to provide information, reducing incoming enquiries and streamlining the flow of communication.
- Encourages providers to manager their own content or listings, significantly reducing administration overhead for ‘in house’ for teams.
- Alleviates pressure on Internal IT teams often with limited resource.
- Is supported by access to dedicated support and responsive account management, on-hand to monitor and improve performance.
- Is supported by access to upgrades, advice and new technologies provided in line with industry trends and customer feedback.
- Has a responsive design, enabling users to access information from mobile phones and tablets ‘on the go’.
- Is supported by web agency specialist knowledge around important web site considerations such as usability, accessibility and SEO.
- Represents the views of the parent carer forum and other stakeholders.
- Provides a platform for feedback and reviews, both of the website and of services displayed, which can be moderated before publication.
- Benefits from the sharing of systems, and hence costs, between other / neighbouring local authorities.
- Benefits from sharing of best practice and ‘tried and tested’ methodologies.
To find out more about digital services and how they can benefit FIS, Children’s and Adults Services, then please get in touch with the team at focusgov.
Back to blog articles